Hollywood plays a role in Operation Protective Edge: Celebs take sides in the Gaza conflict
While a war of weapons takes place in Gaza, a war of words over the conflict takes place in Hollywood - which has close ties to Israel - and the rest of the world.
With the death toll reaching over 1,800 and up to 10,000 injured in the occupied city, it’s no shock that international celebrities are taking to social media to voice their opinions. A few small words from one influential celeb can shake-up millions of people around the world. Continue reading below »
Team Palestine v Team IDF!
While One Direction star Zayn Malik tweeted #FreePalestine and got a lot of stick for it, Angelina Jolie’s right-wing dad, Jon Voight, lashed out at Hollywood A-Lister Penelope Cruz for apparently being “anti-Semitic” because she criticized Israeli actions.
Cold-blooded murder during the conflict definitely resulted in celebs’ blood boiling, most notably, when Fox News hawk Sean Hannity jabbed his finger in anger at a Palestinian guest on his show, resulting in a satirical response by Brit comedian Russell Brand who ripped Hannity to shreds over his coverage. Makes for very good entertainment especially when the spat escalated back and fourth.
With one of the most contentious conflicts of our time dividing Hollywood and beyond, here’s what 15 stars who couldn’t just sit on the bench said so far.
- Zayn Malik's #FreePalestine tweet takes him in "One Direction": Being bombarded with death threats
- With the ISIS conflict, Iraq has gone back to the dark ages
- Report: Netanyahu and Abbas met secretly in Jordan before ceasefire
- William Hague calls for ceasefire but says "Israel has the right to defend itself"
- The reelection of Netanyahu and the 'true face' of Israel