Guilty by association: 8 Arabic words you can’t hear without making a bolt for it
Over the years, global militant groups have done a good job of getting the public to associate their name with terrifying images of wars and explosions. But most of these groups picked a perfectly innocent Arabic word, then misappropriated it until the true meaning is lost to most people.
Let’s call a spade a spade - why name your group “the students” when you really impose brutal treatment of women and religious minorities? Why not give yourselves a truly scary name? Here are the Arabic language’s most misunderstood words, explained.
- Syrian teen and British youth face firing squad in UAE for drug dealing
- Let's talk about sex! Palestinian American filmmaker touches on taboo topics
- Hola, Miss Mexico! Beauty queen Yesenia Navarro says Egypt is 'breathtaking'
- Accepting Reality: America Lost the War in Iraq
- My Cloud Based Life: Business at the Sharp End of the Cloud