2013's Top 20 WTF moments from the Arab region
Ahhhh, the Middle East. 2013's been a big year in Arabia - the region's politics (not to mention dirty laundry) have been splashed across global newsheadlines and with lurking fears of an all-out international war played out on Syrian soil, the revival of peace talks between Palestine and Israel and Mohammad Assaf winning Arab Idol, there’s been enough to talk about.
The Middle East is certainly never devoid of news - something is always rumbling and threatening to kick off. And although when you read BBC or CNN it may look like it’s Al Qaeda this, Iran that, and nefarious nuke threats all over the shop, there are also some truly bizarre, hilarious and disturbingly horrifying stories that come out of MENA. Continue reading below »
From the upsetting death of an eight-year-old Yemeni girl on her wedding night (a story that got global attention and spurred on a human rights movement and may bring about changes to Yemen's laws) to the offbeat and wacky (think the Saudi stream of weird fatwas or the the endless eccentricities of the Palestinian rumour mill re: Israeli politicians and a new delivery condom service in Dubai), we’ve compiled a list of the stories that made us stop in our tracks in 2013.
These are Al Bawaba’s top 20 WTF moments from the Middle East in 2013. You simply couldn't make these up! Say what??
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Dubai International Film Festival reels in region's top talent with "Gulf Voices" program
- Dubai Shopping Festival – moments and milestones
- Arabs Got Talent: Why Dubai 2020 Expo can give Arab youth a brighter future
- ISIS, ISIS baby! 13 facts about the baddest boys of religious fundamentalism