There’s something Lebanese about the Oscars! Beirut’s designers shine on the red carpet
If random little cartoon shorts have managed to weasel their way into the Oscar lineup, then surely the fashion designers for the Academy Award Ceremony’s A-list guests should be up for consideration as well, don’t you think? Perhaps we’re just biased because we know our region’s designers would snag that figurine year after year, giving the Middle East more props than just a few film nominations a la “The Square”, “Omar”, and “Karama Has No Walls”. Continue reading below »
Hollywood’s hottest of the hot know the Middle East scorching 'desert' is where to look for the most ravishing red carpet attire around. Hollywood princesses were seen parading across the crimson in 2013 sporting delicate dresses designed by Lebanese fashion gurus, Elie Saab (Alicia Vikander), Zuhair Murad (Catherine Zeta Jones) and Reem Acra (Kristen Stewart), and this year brought the en-vogue trio back with a fourth contender in the shape of Rani Zakhem joining the ring.
Since Ellen DeGeneres wouldn’t announce a fashion designer winner in the Dolby Theater, Albawaba will virtually award it instead. Here’s our list of nominees for the 2014 Fashion Oscar. So go on... dip into our lush Levantine line-up!
- HMC and International Academy for Design & Health host design and Health Middle East 2013
- A-Lister fashion designer Reem Acra says “There will be a Middle East fashion industry"
- Did Amal Clooney inspire Lady Gaga's bizarre Oscar "washing-up gloves"?
- Hand-picked local art shines at Lebanese exhibition
- Raya Abirached gives the scoop on celebrity livin' and the upcoming Oscars