So you think you can fast? 13 ways you’ve broken your fast without realizing it
This post first appeared on Albawaba website in Ramadan 2013.
We know you've been abstaining from daytime food and drink this month, but are you hip to other actions that could disqualify you from fasting? It may be a tad late to start lecturing you on Ramadan rules, but the holy month ain't over just yet.
For the Muslim faithful, this is the year's hardest month because it tests your patience on so many levels. Do you think you can manage? Can you cope with feeling grumpy from lack of grazing and fluids, no smokes or caffeine, hold your temper, not gossip or judge?
We are self-indulgent fast-fix humans, narcissistic and materialistic, prone to show off our achievements yet not take consider the less fortunate among us. This special month brings this disconnect into sharp perspective. It challenges you to becoming a better person by resisting all temptations.
So, if you view Ramadan as a waiting game, holding off 'til after dusk to resume old ways, think again.
Take our “So You Think You Can Fast” challenge to see how you fare on fasting. You may be jeopardizing your holy month without realizing that your fast has long since broken!
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Fasting footballers and abstaining astronauts: 10 toughest Ramadan occupations
- Q&A: Palestinian-American UFC Fighter Ramsey Nijem
- Just hired? All eyes on you — don’t cruise through your first few months
- Saving time and money in small businesses