Balotelli hit by 'racist' monkey taunts during Italy-Spain Euro match
Fans made racist gestures and chants as Balotelli was booked, and then explicitly sneered in his face as he walked off the field.
Balotelli, who had claimed before the tournament that he would "kill" anyone who threw a banana at him, somehow managed to keep his composure during the match, which resulted in a one all draw.
The Manchester City striker was then continuously hooted even as he sat on the bench.
Several racist incidents have already tainted the competition after black Holland players received monkey chants during a training session in Krakow.rofessional Footballers' Association chairman Clarke Carlisle had earlier urged England stars to walk off the pitch if they are racially abused today in their opener against France.
"As a player, if you see that the officials aren't handling the situation, then you are well within your rights to walk off the pitch in my opinion," The Daily Star quoted Carlisle, as saying.
Last night, hooligan gangs in cars trapped Irish fans in Poznan, Poland. The skinheads punched and kicked the supporters who had been singing and enjoying the sunshine.
The Polish thugs also set upon fans of Croatia, who last night played Ireland at Poznan's City Stadium. (ANI)
- Football stars support Boateng's walk-off protest against racist gestures
- FA reports series of racist events in England's U-21 win over Serbia to UEFA
- Racist chants in Euro 2012 being investigated by UEFA
- Platini tells players to stop walking off pitch despite racial abuse
- Balotelli vows to walk off pitch following future racial abuse