Difficult to play after international breaks, says Messi
Lionel Messi admitted games can often be difficult following international breaks after Barcelona's 2-2 draw with Celta Vigo on Saturday.
The Argentine forward scored his 43rd Liga goal of the season at Balaidos - meaning he has now found the net against every league opponent in 2012-13 - but it was not enough as the Blaugrana failed to win on their return to action.
“Games after the international break, especially away from home against a team that have so much at stake like Celta, are always difficult,” Messi said after the match.
“It’s not easy to come back and play, because practically all of us are called up to national teams and we can’t prepare for the match in the way we would have liked.”
Elsewhere, Cristian Tello, whose appearance against Celta was vindicated with the opening goal, spoke of his delight at being entrusted with a starting berth by his employers.
“Leo doesn’t surprise me, he’s the best. I hope he stays at the level for a long time,” the young attacker added.
“I’m very pleased that the gaffer has confidence in me and I hope to continue growing. It was a difficult match because it was do or die for them. The result isn’t bad.”
- Gerd Muller hails 'incredible' and 'gigantic' Messi after breaking 'most goals in year' record
- Dania returns after a long break
- Rodgers says Suarez is Liverpool’s Messi
- Messi acknowledges Barcelona struggle against defensive teams
- Messi's bid to break Gerd Muller's goal record back on after recovering from injury