Caniggia believes we are witnessing the 'Messi era'
Former Argentina international Claudio Caniggia believes that Barcelona forward Lionel Messi is the greatest player of his generation, and says he is on par with legends such as Diego Maradona and Alfredo Di Stefano.
Messi won the inaugural two editions of the Fifa Ballon d'Or and is one of the favourites to win the award this year and make it three in a row, and Caniggia feels the 25-year-old is on a higher level than any of his rivals.
"This is Messi's era, there cannot be any discussion about it," Caniggia told Globoesporte. "It does not matter whether he is the best ever. What matters is that he is the best of his generation.
"I am very proud that Argentina has three players among the best players in the history of the game with Messi, Maradona and Di Stefano.
"Messi has really improved his image as a leader and takes his responsibility. It's all going very well for him."
The Blaugrana star has already netted 26 goals in 20 appearances for the Catalans this season.
- Messi credits teammates for fourth consecutive FIFA Ballon d'Or
- Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta finalists for FIFA's Ballon d'Or
- Messi two goals shy of beating Maradona's record of 34 international strikes
- Vilanova believes Messi is the 'best footballer' on Earth
- Barcelona's Messi hints at possible future return to Argentina