English female referee abandons match after being told to 'get handbag and go home'
A female referee named Shelby Davis called off an Under-15s game she was officiating after she was told to get her handbag and go home.
According to the Daily Star, Davis was so disgusted by a comment from the touchline that she called off the Under-15s game she was officiating.
The 21-year-old claimed the barb came from a dad of one of Pirelli Pirates players, who were playing Wyvern Youths in a Hampshire Cup match, the report said.
Shelby, who has been a referee for seven years, was described as being in 'floods of tears' over the incident, the report added.
A spectator said that it was the worst thing he had ever seen at a football match, adding that it was awful seeing the referee in floods of tears.
Hampshire FA confirmed they are taking action over the matter, the report further said. (ANI)
- Chelsea file complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg over racial remarks
- Mourinho charged by FA for improper conduct
- Platini tells players to stop walking off pitch despite racial abuse
- Benitez says Chelsea will be professional ahead of Clattenburg return
- CSKA deny racial abuse claims towards Man City's Toure