Euro 2012: Ukraine 0 France 2
Pounding rain and lightning around the Donbass Arena in Donetsk forced the referee to suspend the match in the fifth minute.
Play eventually resumed and France doused home fans' hopes with a comfortable 2-0 victory.
The storm's effects were felt 700 kilometers (435 miles) west in Kiev, where the kickoff between England and Sweden was pushed back 15 minutes to ease broadcasters' schedules.
Racism remained an issue at Euro 2012 as UEFA received reports that Croatia fans threw a banana at the pitch and racially abused Italy striker Mario Balotelli on Thursday.
- Shevchenko could miss England's crunch match
- Balotelli hit by 'racist' monkey taunts during Italy-Spain Euro match
- Spain FA says no room for racism in country despite recent incidents
- UEFA's Collina says Ukraine goal against England was correct
- Platini tells players to stop walking off pitch despite racial abuse