Ferguson predicts an all-Manchester title shootout this season
Robin van Persie smashed the fastest Prem goal of the season after just 33 seconds to sink West Ham United and keep United top, whereas Chelsea lie seven points behind the leaders and six behind City.
"Tonight's results have drawn us away from Chelsea a little bit further. We're still ahead in the league but City are on our tails and it's going to be a long season," the Sun quoted Ferguson, as saying.
"The importance of winning 1-0 in certain games is that your opponents know the resilience is there. If you look at some of the really important 1-0s we've had... go back to beating Newcastle when they were nine points clear of us in 1996 - our 1-0 that night won us the league. There are important 1-0 victories. We've had many of them," he added. (ANI)
- Ferguson fears Van Persie may be moving towards meltdown
- Ferguson blasts Man City, Chelsea over 'money-spinning' US tour
- Benitez: Chelsea still alive in PL title race despite 7 point difference with Man Utd
- Manchester United ready for 'new-look' Chelsea
- Man City boss Mancini still hoping for PL title after win against Chelsea