Ferguson says summer signing Van Persie is Man Utd's early Christmas present
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has said club's fans got their Christmas present back in summer only when they signed Robin Van Persie, and added that the striker is the last piece of his Premier League title-winning puzzle.
The Dutch striker, who cheated death at the Liberty Stadium against Swansea City on Sunday, has been instrumental in building the Red Devils' lead at the top of the Premier League, the Daily Mirror reports.
It may only be just over four months since the forward arrived from Arsenal in a 24 million pound transfer, but in Ferguson's mind, that fee, which is large for a player entering the final year of his contract, has already been justified thanks to a combination of Van Persie's 15 goals and a growing number of assists, the paper added.
Ferguson said he has no reluctance in accepting that Van Persie has played a pivotal role in maintaining United's current position at the top of the table, and added it was remarkable how quickly he got settled at Old Trafford. (ANI)
- Man Utd manager Ferguson says Van Persie could be PL 'title decider'
- Ferguson says Arsenal kept him in the dark over Van Persie's situation
- Ferguson considers Van Persie, not Rooney Man Utd's main striker
- Man Utd players want Ferguson to lift Premier League trophy instead of captain Vidic
- Ferguson regrets not signing van Persie 11 years ago!