FIFA tells Platini he can’t appeal directly to sports court
FIFA says it wrote to Platini’s lawyers to confirm that he can only go to CAS if the governing body’s appeals committee first rejects his request
Platini had been hoping to cut out the required FIFA appeals procedure as he races to try to overturn his ban before the Feb. 26 presidential election.
FIFA says it wrote to Platini’s lawyers Tuesday to confirm that the UEFA leader can only go to CAS if the governing body’s appeals committee first rejects his request.
Blatter’s legal team says he’s "eager to present his arguments to the appeal committee."
Platini earlier called FIFA’s eight-year ban a "kick in the teeth" but vowed in an interview with AFP to fight on for the presidency of world football’s governing body.
The FIFA vice president and UEFA leader condemned the ethics committee that banned him Monday but said he would "fight to clear my name."
Platini’s ban from all football activities prevents him from standing in the Feb. 26 election to find a replacement for Blatter and working at UEFA president.
Blatter and Platini were suspended for eight years over a 2 million Swiss franc ($2 million) payment made to Platini in 2011 for work carried out between 1999 and 2002.
Platini is determined to plough on in his quest to become the most powerful man in football.
"I will fight. But then I’ll take my responsibilities according to what happens," he told AFP in the exclusive interview.
Platini insisted there was nothing illegal in the oral contract he said was agreed with Blatter. The salary agreement was however never disclosed in FIFA documentation until the payment was made in 2011.
"I’m struggling to understand. Why? How did we get to this? I did some work, I asked to be paid, I sent an invoice, I was paid, I paid my taxes on that. That was in 2011," he said.
"There was a debt that was settled, full stop! Then, in 2015, the Swiss court wanted more information.
"Then it took off at FIFA and a lot of people at FIFA are happy that this issue happened.
"And here I am, suspended from all football-related activity for eight years."
Platini repeated his suspicions that the timing of the ban was a deliberate attempt to prevent him from standing in February’s election.
"What was the FIFA ethics committee doing between 2011 when I was paid and 2015? Was it sleeping? Suddenly it wakes up," he scoffed.
"Ah yes, it wakes up in a FIFA election year when I’m a candidate. It’s amazing!"
Platini insists he should not be bunged into the same bracket as Blatter, who has long been suspected of corrupt practices.
"I’m fighting against this injustice, from one court to another," said Platini, referring to the various avenues of appeal he can take within FIFA, to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and even in the Swiss civil court.
"But there you go, in the meantime, my name has been dragged through the mud in the press.
"Whatever happens, my reputation has been sullied, I’ve been kicked in the teeth: I’ve been put in the same bag as Blatter."