Former FIFA executive Zwanziger reacts with irony in Qatar case
Zwanziger has referred to Qatar as a "cancerous growth on world football"
"This action will probably decisively boost the popularity of Qatar as World Cup hosts, and their image in the world," Zwanziger was quoted by Saturday's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) as saying.
The FAZ also said, citing Qatar embassy officials from Berlin, that a demand note has now been sent to Zwanziger to submit a cease and desist declaration.
Zwanziger has referred to Qatar as a "cancerous growth on world football" in connection to the controversial hosting of the 2022 World Cup.
In a statement Thursday, Qatar officials accused Zwanziger of "an unacceptable slander and vilification of the citizens and community ... Freedom of expression is allowed but that does not include the right to defame and insult by using a term like 'cancerous growth'."
Zwanziger, 70, is a former German football federation president and was a member on the executive committee of the ruling body FIFA between 2011 and last month. He has been a strong critic of FIFA's decision, made before his term, to award the World Cup to the Gulf state.
- FIFA's executive committee member says Qatar should be robbed of World Cup
- Zwanziger can call Qatar 'cancerous growth' on football - for now
- German sporting world reacts with shock to Berlin attack
- FIFA's Zwanziger: Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup
- 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar seek injunction against Zwanziger statement