Kuwait's Al-Deehani wins 1st gold medal for Arabs in Rio Olympics
Kuwait's Fehaid al-Deehani, bronze medalist in the men's trap final at the London 2012 Olympic Games jubilatees at the podium at the Royal Artillery Barracks in London on August 6, 2012. AFP PHOTO/MARWAN NAAMANI MARWAN NAAMANI / AFP
Kuwaiti shooter Fehaid Al-Deehani won the gold medal Wednesday in the men's double trap competition of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janero, Brazil, by defeating Italy's Marco Innocenti in the final match.
Al-Deehani, competing under the Independent Olympic Athletes banner, completed 28 points to capture the gold, while Innocenti earned the silver with 27 points, and Steven Scott of Great Britain clinched to the bronze with 26 points.
It is the third Olympic medal for the veteran Kuwaiti shooter, who has won bronze in the 2000 Games in Sydney, Australia, and another bronze in the 2012 Games in London, England. (end)
- Iran female shooters finish 1st in Asian Shooting Championship
- Bahrain wins gold medal, tops Arab countries at Rio Olympics
- Things can only get better: Arab oil does not deliver gold in the Olympics
- Rio Olympics: Kuwait's Al-Rashidi strikes bronze
- Egypt to host 2016 African Handball Cup of Nations qualifying for Rio Olympics