Mertesacker begins mind games: Ronaldo holds no threat to Germany
Germany center back Per Mertesacker has taken a dig at Portugal goal machine Cristiano Ronaldo, saying that the Real Madrid star wouldn't be a problem for them when both sides meet in their group's opening match of Euro Cup.
Mertesacker insisted the Ronaldo has never managed to trouble Germany, and they have studied him carefully.
The Arsenal defender, who is back fully fit from a back injury, has said Germany's team ethics would be good enough to beat Portugal's excellent individual players.
"We've managed to nip in the bud any of Ronaldo's efforts in past matches against Portugal and must try to avoid at all costs one-on-one situations. He's as fast as lightning and a master of football trickery but we will be practicing how to stop him," The Sun quoted Mertesacker, as saying.
"They have excellent individuals but we will oppose it with team spirit. Our strength is we can respond as a team of 11 so that will be key," he added. (ANI)
- Witch doctor claims responsibility for Ronaldo's WC threatening injury!
- Ronaldo: Portugal will fight any team in Euro 2012 semifinal
- Germany v Portugal: Predicted lineups
- Ronaldo believes in Portugal's chances after Mourinho pep-talk
- Ronaldo ahead of Germany-Portugal Euro clash: I don't fear taking penalties