Messi surpasses Pele's record of 75 goals in calendar year
The Argentina star netted twice in the 4-2 win at Mallorca that kept the Catalans three points clear in Spain's La Liga, leaving him just nine short of Gerd Muller's all-time record.
The 25-year-old, who became a first-time father earlier this month, was able to put a bit more enthusiasm into his new thumb-sucking celebration than when he scored late in the shock midweek Champions League loss to Scottish side Celtic.
"Leo continually breaks records. His goal tally is spectacular," CNN quoted Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, as saying. (ANI)
- Messi continues record 'goal-scoring streak' following Copa brace
- Messi stays humble despite breaking Gerd Mueller's calendar-year record
- Pele: Impossible for Neymar to replace me as Brazil's greatest footballer
- Dollar's Fate in Fed's Hands
- Messi's bid to break Gerd Muller's goal record back on after recovering from injury