Metropolitan Police to investigate alleged Clattenburg comments
Chelsea FC lodged a formal complaint to the Football Association (FA), following their 3-2 defeat to Manchester United, accusing Clattenburg of using "inappropriate" language towards two of their players.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that neither Chelsea nor the FA had made the complaint.
"We continue to work in partnership with Chelsea Football Club and the Football Association in order to consider any allegation that is made in relation to the reported events," said the statement.
The FA had already begun their own investigation into the incident.
Clattenburg, who has vowed to co-operate fully with any investigation, has been stood down from this weekend's fixtures.
- Chelsea file complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg over racial remarks
- Benitez says Chelsea will be professional ahead of Clattenburg return
- Chelsea furious at Ferguson, Wenger over criticism of alleged 'Clattenburg racist slur'
- UK police investigate 'Racist' Euro 2012 tweets targeted at Cole and Young
- Man Utd's Ferdinand willing to shake hands with Terry during Chelsea PL clash