Messi rejects record-breaking £24m-a-year offer to leave Barcelona
The Argentina superstar was stunned when an unnamed Russian side, believed to be big-spending Anzhi Makhachkala, triggered his 205 million pound release clause , the Sun reports.
Messi was also offered a mind-boggling salary totaling 24 million pound a year after tax, according to reports in Spain, the paper said.
Barcelona was obliged to accept the offer, but Messi swiftly rejected the move after discussions with president Sandro Rosell and his family, it added.
The three-time World Player of the Year then pledged his future by signing a new Barca deal. (ANI)
- Barcelona's Messi hints at possible future return to Argentina
- Messi credits teammates for fourth consecutive FIFA Ballon d'Or
- Iniesta says teammate Messi best in the world
- Gerd Muller hails 'incredible' and 'gigantic' Messi after breaking 'most goals in year' record
- Messi a dad after girlfriend gave birth to baby boy Thiago