Mourinho believes Man City's strong forwards make them PL title favourites
Mourinho, who takes Chelsea to Southampton on New Year's Day, sitting third in the league, one point behind City and two behind Arsenal, has previously said that City should be well clear already, such is the strength in their ranks.
According to The Guardian, Mourinho insisted that he is not playing any mind games, and bristled at the suggestion that his comments about City were an attempt to unsettle them, saying that City should not feel any pressure as they know their own strength and that they are the favourites .
However, Mourinho highlighted the progress Chelsea has made compared to this time last year, when they trailed the then leaders, Manchester United, by 11 points, although he continues to stick to the line about his club being in transition and, as such, title outsiders.
Wenger, whose Arsenal team face a New Year's Day visit from Cardiff City, gave short shrift to his rival and made it plain that Mourinho's views should not be taken at face value, saying that at the end of the day, it comes down to whatever each club performs at the field.
Arsenal was last on top of the table at New Year in 2007-08, only to fade after a morale-sapping 2-2 draw at Birmingham City in late February and this season is very tight at the halfway stage, with nine points separating the top eight clubs, the report added. (ANI)
- Man City should be accused of 'buying' Premier League title, says Mourinho
- Rooney believes 'jam-packed' fixtures around Christmas important for Man Utd's PL title hopes
- Wenger says Arsenal genuine PL title contenders after draw with Man City
- Wenger questions 'morality' of Lampard at Man City
- Mourinho wants Man City to be stripped of PL title for breaching FFP regulations