NFL: San Francisco 23, Carolina 10
Kaepernick completed 15-of-28 passes for 196 yards with a 1-yard TD toss to Vernon Davis and carried the ball eight times for 15 yards with a 4-yard scoring run as the 49ers gained the NFC title game for a third straight year.
Kaepernick improved to 4-1 in his post-season career with San Francisco, which will face Seattle on the road next week for the chance to represent the NFC in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Anquan Boldin racked up 136 receiving yards on eight catches and Frank Gore led the rushing corps with 84 yards on 17 carries.
The 49ers clamped down on defense in the second half, holding Carolina scoreless after the break. They sacked Panthers quarterback Cam Newton four times and recorded a pair of interceptions.
Newton finished 16-for-25 through the air for 267 yards with a score and ran for 54 yards on 10 carries as Carolina fell in its first playoff game following a 12-4 regular season.
Ted Ginn made four grabs for 104 yards.
- Mata likely to win back first-team place in Chelsea following recent performance
- Lebanon gain momentum ahead of WC qualifiers with decent result
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle Seahawks batter Denver Broncos 43-8
- Video: Jordan lose 5-0 to Uruguay in World Cup qualifying play-off
- Lampard hails Mourinho's return to Premier League