Pele fears violent protests during 2014 World Cup
Mass anti-government rallies that began during last June during the Confederations Cup are expected to continue during the World Cup, to be held in 12 Brazilian cities from July 12 to July 13.
According to China Daily, although Pele rates Brazil among the tournament favorites, he however, called on Brazilians to temporarily put aside their disquiet over bad governance and corruption as otherwise the path to a sixth World Cup will be littered with obstacles.
Pele also said that it makes him sad that their country had only two opportunities to showcase their talent and tourism options with the World Cup and the 2016 Rio Olympics, adding that it is important that the protests do not ruin the event, which is a good opportunity to make money and develop tourism. (ANI)
- Pele blames 'evil people' for Brazil's 'disgraceful' World Cup preparations
- Pele believes England has same chance of winning this year's WC as Brazil
- Brazil legend Pele's statue to be unveiled at Maracana Stadium
- Pele wants Brazil to win Olympic football gold
- Mourinho claims Ronaldo better than Pele, Maradona