Referee who missed Suarez bite gets semi-final
Marco Rodriguez, the referee who failed to see Luis Suarez biting Giorgio Chiellini, has been assigned to referee the World Cup Semi-final in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday.
FIFA, on its website, declared that Mexico's Rodriguez would referee the match between Brazil and Germany.
Rodriguez has handled two World Cup matches - Uruguay's 1-0 win against Italy on 24 June and Belgium's 2-1 defeat of Algeria. It is his third World Cup finals and the first time he has refereed a game in the knock-out stages, The Guardian reported.
Suarez's bite of the Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini's shoulder went unseen and unpunished by the Mexican match officials. However, FIFA later banned Suarez for nine international matches and four months from all football related activity.
Earlier in the game Rodriguez showed the Italy midfielder Claudio Marchisio a red card for a serious foul.
FIFA said that Mark Geiger of the US would be fourth official for the match. He was also fourth official for Uruguay against Italy. (ANI)
- FIFA's coaching advisers to propose fourth sub in extra time before 2018 WC
- Champions League semi-final 1st leg: Juventus 2-1 Real Madrid
- Italy's Nicola Rizzoli to referee World Cup final
- Chelsea overcomes Bayern Munich to Win Champions League
- Olympics and World Cup get all the 2014 attention - on and off pitch