Roma kick off fundraiser to assist refugees
Serie A club Roma announced the launch Tuesday of Football Cares, a global fundraising initiative to help organizations who assist the increasing number of refugees fleeing from persecution and war.
The Giallorossi invited Italian and foreign clubs and fans to provide support on a donation and auction web site that was to be open soon. Football Cares is already hosted on the social platform JustGiving.
Funds will go to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Save The Children, International Rescue Committee and the Red Cross.
"With the goal of uniting the entire football community under one banner, the hope is that by coming together, we can achieve more than we could individually," Roma said in a statement, pleding a "substantial donation" on Tuesday.
The initiative has received support from Florence club Fiorentina, who said they will auction the players' jerseys after next weekend's game with Genoa and are planning further initiatives.
The Serie B league reportedly said they will also help with fundraising efforts.
- Kuwait to launch TV fund-raiser for Afghans
- Syrian crisis: UAE, Kuwait pledge $300m each to help Syrians
- Dubai’s STARS Kicks off, with Hope for World Children
- From Dubai with Love: James Bond's Aston Martin to be auctioned off Wednesday to raise money for Syrian refugees
- Music for meds: Hamza Namira's fundraising tour