Ronaldo says he has no problem with taking penalties
Ronaldo, 27, missed from the spot when Real lost on penalties against Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi-finals, but the former Manchester United ace claims it was coach Paulo Bento who decided he should take the fifth spot-kick in Wednesday's semi-final.
"I was going to take the fifth penalty but we missed two. The coach said to me, 'Do you want to take the fifth?' I said 'yes'," The Sun quoted Ronaldo, as saying.
"Sometimes I take the first, second or the third. I agreed to take the fifth. I can assure you there was no ghost after I missed a penalty against Bayern Munich. I was going to score the fifth," he added.
Portugal suffered a poor start to Euro 2012, losing 1-0 to Germany and then grabbing a late goal to beat Denmark 3-2. Ronaldo drifted to 66-1 to become top scorer but became a leading contender with two goals in a 2-1 win over Holland before grabbing the winner in quarter-final against Czech Republic.
"We go out with our heads held high. We demonstrated to the critics and to the supporters that we had a good tournament. We played a very good Euros. We managed to get to the four best teams but we didn't have luck," he said. (ANI)
- Ronaldo ahead of Germany-Portugal Euro clash: I don't fear taking penalties
- Ronaldo: Comparing me to Messi like equating 'Ferrari with a Porsche'
- Bento defends Ronaldo over Messi barbs
- Portugal's Ronaldo feels no pressure ahead of semi final clash against Spain
- Ronaldo: Portugal will fight any team in Euro 2012 semifinal