Report: Schumacher ‘out of danger’ but chances of full recovery appear diminished
Michael Schumacher is “out of danger” and has been moved from intensive care to a rehabilitation ward in the Grenoble hospital where he is being treated for severe brain injuries, a magazine reported Friday.
The German Formula 1 motor racing driver, 45, has been in hospital since he struck his head on a rock during a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel in late December.
Doctors placed him in a medically induced coma in early January to aid his recovery. Two months ago Sabine Kehm, his manager, said that Schumacher had shown “small, encouraging signs” as doctors struggled to bring him out of the coma and into a so-called “wake up” phase that precedes full consciousness.
The German celebrity magazine Bunte reported that Schumacher had been moved from the intensive care unit at the Grenoble hospital to a rehabilitation ward. The magazine said the driver was “out of danger” but his chances of making a full recovery appeared to have diminished. It also reported that preparations for his transfer to a specialized rehabilitation clinic were under way.
Ms Kehm has made no comment on the Bunte report. Grenoble University Hospital has agreed with the Schumacher family to use her as the sole source of public information regarding the injured driver’s condition. Last month she denied reports Schumacher had been moved to a rehabilitation unit and insisted there was no change in his condition.
There has been widespread speculation that he is in a permanent vegetative state, clinically awake but unable to move or speak.