Sixth edition of Qatar Sports Day kicks off
Photo: Qatar News Agency
The sixth edition of Qatar Sports Day Kicked off Tuesday. The event launches in the second Tuesday of February of every year in compliance with an Emiri decision.
The event aims to raise awareness on the importance of pursuing a healthy lifestyle. There are a host of sports available for the public to take part in. Some of them are cycling, swimming, football, basketball, tennis, Taekwondo among many others. There are a total of 151 events this year from 135 different institutions. The events take place in different areas across the country. The two areas with the most events however are Katara and Aspire Zone, which hosts 59 and 37 events respectively.
The Qatari Olympic Committee (QOC) is particularly active today and was keen on having all its sports associations open its doors to all who want to take part in sports day. QOC's preparations aimed to make Qatar one big sports field today. The day is also a public holiday, allowing everyone to take part in any of the available events.
Sports day first took place in Qatar on February 2012, one year after Emiri Decision No. 80 of 2011 on Dec. 6, 2011 regarded the National Sports Day and stipulated that the second Tuesday of February every year be a national sports day.
Qatar is the first country in the world that dedicates one day for its citizens and residents to celebrate sports and promote a healthy lifestyle. This inspired many international organizations to follow Qatar's lead; the UN recently adopted a sports day on April 6 of every year. The EU also decided to launch a sports day for its member countries as well.
- The FEI International Equestrian Federation to officially open CHI AL SHAQAB 2013
- "Qatar's World Cup will be a catalyst for increased infrastructure spending" says George Nasra of IBQ at MEED Qatar Projects 2011
- Qatar Foundation set to celebrate National Sport Day 2017
- Under the patronage of Her Excellency Sheikha Hind Bint Hamad Al Thani 3rd International Universities Arabic Debating Championship kicks off on April 26th
- Huawei 5th GCC National Teams under 23 championship kicks off on August 15