Wenger says Man City flop gave PL title to Man Utd
In a dig at Manchester United, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has said that the 2013 Premier League winners won the title because of rivals Manchester City's flop show, instead of Robin van Persie's much-acclaimed goal.
Many believe Van Persie's decision to join United instead of City from Arsenal last summer was the key to the Old Trafford club winning their 20th top-flight championship, The Sun reports.
However, the Gunner boss dismissed the speculation, saying that although Van Persie had made an impact with his performance, the main reason behind United's winning the title is that City dropped off at the last moment from the running.
Stating the champions were not up to the task, Wenger said that this year's title race was one-way traffic with United at the pinnacle, adding that the race was not as tight and close as last year when City was topping the list.
Wenger also claimed that United would also have snatched the title last season if City's final-day opponents Qeens Park Rangers (QPR) had not learned that they were safe from relegation before conceding the dramatic Sergio Aguero goal.
The Gunners will form a guard of honour for former hero Van Persie and his United team-mates, the report added. (ANI)
- Wenger believes Van Persie could lead Man Utd to PL title
- Wenger admits Arsenal squad 'way behind' big boys in PL race
- Wenger thinks Man Utd striker Van Persie 'will always be Arsenal man'
- Mancini admits 'Man City's failure to sign van Persie may cost PL title'
- Van Persie demands Rooney's £220,000-a-week wages to join Man Utd