Di Matteo's secret video inspired Chelsea players to CL triumph
London, May 21(ANI): Chelsea players were almost in tears before their Champions League conquest against Bayern Munich in Munich on May 19, after watching a secret video complied by interim manager Roberto Di Matteo.
Di Matteo had instructed the club's backroom technicians to contact the families of every member of his squad to record a good luck message for the showdown in Munich
The computer experts even browsed through YouTube for any photographs or footage of the players when they were young boys, and the result was a 20-minute film shown to the players on Friday night in the team hotel, which resulted in plenty of banter and quite a few players filling up with tears.
"That was a brilliant touch by the boss. The messages were a complete surprise to all of us. We just got called into a meeting and there they were, for every single player," The Sun quoted young Chelsea player Ryan Bertrand, as saying.
"First it was my mum and brother saying: 'Well done and good luck to the whole team.' After that it went to the whole family, which was a little bit embarrassing," he added.
"There could have been some tears, but there was also a bit of laughter and banter, and that really spurred us on," he said. (ANI)
- Di Matteo says Chelsea can't turn into Barcelona overnight
- Di Matteo convinced Chelsea can win silverware this season
- Chelsea's Oscar says he would play anywhere boss Di Matteo wants
- Di Matteo says speculation linking Guardiola with Chelsea does not affect him
- Gullit says Chelsea have 'no chance' of retaining Champions League title