Syria: Number of tourists up in 2010
The number of foreign tourists coming to Syria in 2010 amounted to 8.5 million, registering an increase of 40 percent compared to 2009. The Syrian Tourism Minister Saadallah Agha Al-Qala was quoted as saying 4.6 million tourists came from Arab countries in addition to 1.5 million Syrians living abroad. A total of 2.3 million tourists came from other countries.
The minister said that the government investments in the tourism sector rose last year by 9 percent. The Syrian government plans for the next five years to attract a huge foreign investment to the amount of US$ 55 billion to develop the tourism sector. This seems quite unrealistic as the value of foreign direct investments to Syria during the last year reached only US$ 2.5 billion.
- Breaking the barrier: roamer app says it has bypassed block of VoIP providers In UAE
- Etihad's debut A380 Residence flight receives 'overwhelming' response in US
- Money to be made on Saudi mortgages? How KSA's new law is planned to boost markets
- The US to overtake Saudi Arabia as top oil producer
- Jordan's Fuel Crisis: Vehicle restrictions and timed blackouts proposed