Palestinian sources confirmed that Jordan's King Abdullah II, who visited Ramallah Monday conveyed to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas a European proposal to resume negotiations with Israel.
The Palestinian sources were quoted as saying that "the European initiative calls for the resumption of negotiations on the basis of the Quartet statement issued last September, without the Palestinian insistence on the freeze of settlement. This is in exchange for a promise by the European Union, including France and Britain, to support the application for U.N. membership of the State of Palestine within the 1967 territories in September 2012 if negotiations with Israel fail over the next year. "
The European initiative for the resumption of negotiations asserts the settlement issue will be resolved through negotiations on the core issues of borders and security. The resumption of negotiations will be conducted under the auspices of the Quartet and with its supervision and participation in some issues, according to sources. The sources said that Abdullah and Abbas discussed how to strengthen the Palestinian position through the participation of Hamas in the Palestinian decision-making and the return of relations between them and Amman.
For his part, Abbas said after the meeting "if Israel stops settlement activity and recognizes international authorities, we are ready to return to negotiations. These are not preconditions, but commitments and agreements between us and the Israelis." But he pointed out that there are no signs so far point to the imminent resumption of negotiations.
© 2000 - 2020 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)