12 Iraqis killed in Fallujah as blasts hit two oil pipelines

Published June 9th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iraqi resistance fighters killed 12 members of an Iraqi security force in a mortar attack in the city of Fallujah, reports said. 

 

It was first attack against General Mohammed Latif's Fallujah Brigade since it was tasked to pacify the city last month following clashes between U.S. occupation troops and resistance fighters. 

 

Officers in the force told Reuters on Wednesday 10 people were wounded in the attack. 

 

Witnesses said the mortar attack landed inside a camp housing security forces. Members of the Iraqi force said a joint patrol with occupation soldiers was scheduled to take place in the city at the time of the attack. 

 

Elsewhere, Iraqi fighters ambushed a US military convoy in Baghdad and blew up another fuel line. The ambush took place on a road in the northwestern Baghdad neighborhood of Al-Khadra.  

 

Meanwhile, saboteurs ruptured overnight an oil pipeline linking Iraq's largest fuel refinery at Baiji, 200 kilometres north of Baghdad, to a power station, the electricity ministry said, according to AFP.  

 

The attack shut down the 400-megawatt power station in Baiji and caused a huge blackout in the town, the ministry said in a statement.  

 

In a related development, a portion of the Kirkuk-Turkey oil pipeline was blown up, an Iraqi security chief in northern Iraq told AFP. The pipeline was still on fire Wednesday afternoon, said the fire chief for the Northern Oil Company, Jumaa Ahmad. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content