Annan: Assad committed for full Lebanon withdrawal

Published March 22nd, 2005 - 08:55 GMT

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said Tuesday after meeting Syria's president that Damascus will completely withdraw its forces and intelligence agents from Lebanon in keeping with a Security Council resolution.


Annan said Syrian President Bashar Assad confirmed his commitment to the resolution adopted last year and is "working out a timetable," The AP reported. 


"The withdrawal has begun and it continues. He's working out a timetable in consultation with the Lebanese authorities and will withdraw his troops completely into Syrian territory," Annan said. "Not just the troops but also the security service, as well as all the logistical and material equipment to Syria."

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content