Another Palestinian teen is shot dead by Israeli forces

Published October 5th, 2015 - 08:30 GMT

Israeli forces shot dead a Palestinian teenager during clashes in the northern West Bank village of Bala, east of Tulkarem, overnight Sunday, medics said.

Red Crescent officials told Ma'an that 18-year-old Huthayfa Othman Suleiman was shot in the chest during clashes and died in the operating room.

Three other young men were shot with live fire during the clashes and taken to Thabit Thabit hospital to be treated for their injuries.

Doctors managed to save the life of Omar Jadba after he was shot in the thigh and abdomen and seriously wounded, medics added, noting that the two other men were shot in their legs.

Six other Palestinians were shot by rubber-coated steel bullets.

Witnesses told Ma'an that Israeli snipers deployed on rooftops and fired live ammunition directly at Palestinian men during the clashes. They also fired tear gas and rubber-coated bullets at protesters.

“What happened in Tulkarem is clear evidence that the Netanyahu government is trying to escalate the situation in the West Bank to torture angry Palestinian citizens who protest what is going on in the Al-Aqsa Mosque, as well as settler attacks against Palestinian towns,” a senior Fatah official in Tulkarem, Muayyad Shaaban, told Ma’an.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said that a "violent riot of 100 Palestinians from the Hamas terror organization" took place at the Tulkarem crossroads late Sunday.

The crowd threw rocks, Molotov cocktails, and fireworks at Israeli forces, who responded with riot dispersal means before opening fire at three Palestinians who were hurling firebombs.

Direct hits were confirmed, the spokeswoman added, noting that the army was aware of reports of a fatality.

West Bank clashes

The killing comes as several Palestinians were injured in ongoing clashes across the West Bank late Sunday.

In Qalandiya, four Palestinians were shot with live fire and two others with rubber-coated steel bullets in clashes by the military checkpoint.

A Ma'an reporter said that demonstrators organized a march from Qalandiya refugee camp to the checkpoint.

Israeli forces fired tear gas, rubber-coated steel bullets, and live fire at the crowds, who responded by throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails.

In Dura, west of Hebron, a Palestinian man was hit in the face by a tear gas canister as clashes broke out between youths and Israeli military forces.

The unidentified man was moderately injured and taken to hospital for treatment.

Clashes also broke out in Yatta, with Israeli forces responding with tear gas.

Recent weeks have seen fierce clashes in East Jerusalem and the West Bank as a result of severe entry restrictions to the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City -- the third holiest site in Islam.

Overnight Saturday, Fadi Samir Mustafa Alloun, 19, from the East Jerusalem village of al-Issawiya, was shot dead by Israeli forces after allegedly attempting to stab a group of Israelis.

The incident took place just hours after another Palestinian was shot dead when he stabbed and possibly opened fire on a family of Israelis at the Old City's Lion's Gate.

Two Israelis were killed and two others injured, including a two-year-old infant, in the attack.

Both incidents came amid soaring tensions across occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2022

You may also like