Israel sealed off all West Bank towns under Palestinian control Monday after five Israelis were killed by Palestinians, Israel's commander of central operations said, according to AFP.
"We are going to take the necessary security measures to improve the safety of the traffic and do our best to get all of those who are terrorists," Major General Yitzhak Eitan told a news conference in Jerusalem, the agency added.
"Now we are going to impose closure of all Palestinian towns and Palestinian areas," he said.
The move was effective immediately, officials said.
The towns affected were so-called "A-areas" under Palestinian control in the West Bank, including Ramallah, Nablus, Hebron, Bethlehem, Jericho, Qalqilya, Jenin and Tulkarem, said Yarden Vatikay, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).
A Jewish settler was killed Monday evening ago when his truck was fired on at the Kisufim roadblock near Gaza, Palestinian sources said. Meanwhile, another Israeli was killed when she was shot by Palestinians Halmish junction, between the Shiloh and Ofra settlements, according to Palestinian security sources.
With the new fatalities, the number of Israelis killed on Monday reached five. However, the Israeli newspaper, Maariv, said four were killed.
Earlier in the day, two Israeli soldiers and a Jewish settler were killed in Ramallah in attacks by two armed Palestinians.
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak, on a visit to the United States, warned after the killing of the first three Israelis that the Jewish state would seek reprisals.
Eiyat refused to say what kind of measures the Israeli army would now take against such "terror attacks aimed at killing as many Israeli civilians as possible."
"I prefer not to talk about the other measures we are going to take. They include intelligence measures and activities of the IDF," he added – (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)