Assassination in Damascus: Jordan condemns, Egyptian official cancels Israel visit

Published September 27th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

An Egyptian official involved in preparations for the planned Israeli pullout from the Gaza Strip has canceled a trip to Israel likely due to Sunday's assassination of a senior Hamas leader in Syria, Israeli officials said Monday. 

 

According to SPA, Egyptian intelligence chief, Omar Suleiman, had been scheduled to hold talks with Israeli officials and tour the Rafah area in southern Gaza Strip on Tuesday, the officials said. 

 

Meanwhile, Jordan has condemned the assassination of Ezzedin Sheikh Khalil by blowing up his car in Damascus. "Jordan strongly condemned the assassination, which aims to destabilize security in the region and derailed the peace process," Jordan's State Minister, Government Spokesperson Asma Khader told Petra news agency. She added the assassination policy leads to more destabilization and deterioration in the region. (albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content