Egypt's ambassador to Mexico will soon be in direct contact with the families of the Mexican tourists "accidentally" killed in Egypt regarding compensation, Egypt's foreign minister said.
Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri told his Mexican counterpart Claudia Ruiz Massieu that Egypt is committed to proceeding with an investigation into the killings and to "providing the appropriate reparations," the Mexican Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
He and Massieu met on Sunday on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly's 70th session in New York.
Massieu "requested information on how the Egyptian government would proceed to fully compensate and provide reparations."
She also reiterated Mexico's demands for an "immediate, in-depth and thorough" investigation.
On Sept. 13, Egyptian security forces said that they mistakenly attacked a convoy of Mexican tourists in al-Wahat area in the Western desert, believing they were terrorists.
Twelve were killed including eight Mexicans and four Egyptians and 10 were injured, six of them Mexicans. The bodies of the eight Mexicans were flown out of Cairo last week.
The incident prompted Mexico's condemnation. Massieu visited Cairo after the incident, accompanied by the families of the victims. She held talks with Shukri before leaving Egypt along with the Mexicans wounded in the incident.
Earlier this month, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri wrote an open letter to the people of Mexico, expressing his condolences and emphasizing that Egypt is still in the process of investigating the incident.
All rights reserved 2021 Aswat Masriya ©