Egypt's largest armed Islamist group, the Jamaa Islamiya, has renewed its commitment to non-violence, said a statement from the group's leaders received by AFP Friday.
The statement said reports that its spiritual guide, Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, had withdrawn his support for their March 1999 ceasefire were inaccurate and stressed that the group had "not gone back on its position."
The group said it would "continue the peaceful initiative" and called on all Jamaa Islamiya leaders at home and abroad to "commit themselves to the previous consensus."
Jamaa Islamiya is the largest of the groups, which launched a campaign of violence against the government and Egypt's key tourism sector in 1992, including an attack that killed 58 foreign tourists and four Egyptians in Luxor in November 1997.
Sheikh Omar was sentenced to life in prison in 1996 by a US court for his involvement in a bomb attack against New York's World Trade Center three years earlier that killed six people and injured 1,000 - CAIRO (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)