Some 300 Iranian political and literary figures released an open letter Monday calling on the regime to make public the results of an inquiry into the 1998 murders of several dissidents.
Journalists, intellectuals and former government ministers were among those who signed the letter denouncing the "laxity of judicial authorities" over the case and calling for the families of the victims as well as the public to be informed of the state of the investigation.
Secular nationalists Dariush and Parvaneh Foruhar were assassinated in late 1998 along with three writers -- Majid Sharif, Mohammad Mokhtari and Mohammad Pouyandeh -- who fought vigorously for the freedom of expression.
The intelligence ministry admitted that "rogue" agents had been responsible for the assassinations but denied that any top officials had been aware of their actions.
Then intelligence minister Ghorbanali Dorri-Najafadi was replaced by another cleric, Ali Yunesi, after the killings.
The man named as the head of the network of "rogue" agents, Said Emami, was reported to have committed suicide in prison last year.
Of the 22 others said to have been investigated, eight were announced in April to have been released for lack of evidence.
President Mohammad Khatami ordered a special committee to investigate the murders, which sparked outrage and protests both in Iran and abroad.
A memorial service organized by friends and family of the Foruhars to mark the anniversary of the killings will be held at a mosque in central Tehran on Tuesday -- TEHRAN (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)