Iranian Opposition Claims Rocket Attacks at Kermanshah

Published May 14th, 2000 - 02:00 GMT

Iran's armed exiled opposition, the People's Mujahedeen, claimed responsibility for the explosions Saturday in the Iranian town of Kermanshah that injured several people. 

"Mujahedeen's operational units launched a mortar attack on the headquarters of the special anti-riot forces of Kermanshah province's state security forces around 11:30 p.m.(1900 GMT) Saturday evening... Scores of agents were killed or wounded in the attack," the group said in a statement received by AFP. 

A Mujahideen spokesman, Farid Soleimani, told the BBC that the intended targeted was the headquarters of Kermanshah's state security forces.  

He said dozens of agents had been killed or wounded in the attack.  

The explosions were heard at 2325 (1855 GMT) on Saturday - a few hours after the rocket attack on Baghdad. 

"The explosions, of unknown origin, were heard in a heavily populated zone in the east of the town," the Iranian news agency (IRNA) said, quoting residents. 

The area was immediately sealed off by police who announced the launch of an enquiry to determine the causes of the explosions, the agency added  

The Mujahideen has in recent months stepped up its cross-border raids and launched mortar attacks in Tehran.  

A Mujahideen mortar attack near Tehran's police headquarters injured six people earlier this month.  

Another attack in March killed one person and injured several others.  

Attacks in Baghdad  

Similarly, Iraq opposition groups backed by Iran have also increased they attacks on Baghdad – (Several Sources)  

 

 

© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like