Israel to demolish home of Palestinian convicted of killing Israeli

Published August 19th, 2015 - 05:00 GMT

Israeli forces on Wednesday informed the family of a Palestinian man convicted of stabbing to death an Israeli settler that his home in Hebron would be demolished in a week, his family told Ma'an.

Family members of Mahir Hashlamoun said that Israeli troops stormed the apartment in Hebron early Wednesdayand delivered a demolition order. The apartment is part of a multi-story residential building.

Hashlamoun was detained in November after he stabbed to death an Israeli woman near the Gush Etzion settlement bloc south of Bethlehem last November. Hashlamoun wounded two other people before a security guard shot and wounded him.

In March, an Israeli court sentenced him to two life-terms.

Israeli forces resumed the practice of punitive house demolitions in November last year, after stopping them in 2009. 

Israeli forces in November demolished the East Jerusalem home of a Palestinian who killed two Israelis in a hit-and-run attack a month earlier.

A number of other houses have received punitive demolition orders, including the houses of two Palestinians from East Jerusalem who killed four rabbis and an Israeli policeman at a synagogue last November.

Human rights groups have decried the practice of punitive demolitions as unlawful collective punishment. 

In a statement released last year, Human Rights Watch stated that the demolitions may also constitute a war crime as they are carried out in occupied territories. 

According to Israeli watchdog B'Tselem, an Israeli army investigation concluded in 2005 that the deterrence value of home demolitions was questionable, and the military decided to stop the practice. 

No official reason was given for the resuming the policy last year.


All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2021

You may also like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content