Israel shoots 13-year-old Palestinian girl after alleged stabbing attempt

Published January 23rd, 2016 - 10:00 GMT
At least 20 Israelis have been killed in individual attacks carried out by Palestinians since Oct. 1. In the same time period, 160 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers. (File Photo)
At least 20 Israelis have been killed in individual attacks carried out by Palestinians since Oct. 1. In the same time period, 160 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers. (File Photo)

A 13-year-old Palestinian was shot dead Saturday after reportedly attempting to stab an Israeli security guard outside of an illegal West Bank settlement northeast of Jerusalem, Israeli police said.

Israeli police spokesperson Luba al-Samri said that the girl approached a gate leading into the Anatot settlement, also known as Almon, and attempted to stab a security guard.

The guard immediately fired gunshots at the 13-year-old, injuring her critically, al-Samri said. The child died on site shortly after.

The police spokesperson said that initial reports into the incident suggested that the 13-year-old had been in a quarrel with members of her family in the Palestinian village of Anata, west of the Anatot settlement, before leaving home with a knife in order to carry out a stabbing attack, al-Samri said.

The father arrived to the scene shortly after the attack in search of his daughter before being detained for questioning, al-Samri added.

The head of Anata's village council,Taha Nuaman, identified the girl as Ruqayya Eid Abu Eid. He said the girl's family lives in Anata but is originally from the city of Yatta south of Hebron. 

The reported attack outside of the illegal Anatot settlement is the most recent to take place amid an ongoing wave of unrest in the occupied Palestinian territory.

Last week a 15-year-old Palestinian also from Yatta suspected of stabbing and killing an Israeli settler in the illegal settlement of Otneil was detained, one day before another settler was stabbed and injured by a Palestinian in the illegal settlement of Tekoa.

Over 20 Israelis have been killed in attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals since Oct. 1. At least 160 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli military forces or settlers in the same time period.

Last week’s incidents inside of Israeli settlements and Saturday’s alleged attack at the Anatot settlement come after the majority of attacks to take place this month were carried out on military personnel near checkpoints.

The Israeli army following last week’s attacks banned all Palestinian laborers from entering illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank, preventing work for an estimated 11,000 Palestinians.

The ban was one of several measures since violence increased in October to be implemented by the Israeli army on Palestinian communities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including road closures, sealing off movement in and out of villages and towns, and arrest campaigns.reported.

While “security measures” have been eased over the past month according to documentation by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, many closures and restrictions on movement remain in place, particularly in the Hebron district.


All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2022

You may also like