A Lebanese peasant was severely injured Saturday after stepping on a landmine left from the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon, security sources said.
Mahmud al-Hajj, 40, was working in field in the village of Qelya, in the Western Bekaa region of southeast Lebanon, when the device went off, they said.
He suffered severe injuries and was immediately taken to a nearby hospital, they added.
Qelya is on the periphery of the former Israeli-occupied border zone in southern Lebanon that remains peppered with thousands of landmines.
The number of accidents involving landmines in southern Lebanon has increased alarmingly since Israeli troops withdrew from the region on May 24th after a 22-year occupation.
Since then, 6 civilians have been killed and 50 injured by exploding mines.
The United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL) estimates that Israel left behind 130,000 mines in southern Lebanon -- RASHAYA, Lebanon (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)