Moroccan diplomat: Baker decision to quit is '\'personal'\'

Published June 17th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The recent decision by UN envoy for the Sahara, James Baker is “neither a good, nor a bad thing”, according to a top Moroccan diplomat. 

 

Mohamed Bennouna who is serving as the kingdom’s Permanent Representative to the United nations said, in an interview published Thursday by Aujourd'hui le Maroc newspaper that Baker’s decision is “personal.”  

 

The former US Secretary of State resigned last week as UN Secretary General’s Personal Envoy to the Sahara after he failed to bring about a solution to the Sahara disputebetween Morocco and the Algerian-backed Polisario movement.  

 

"He (Baker) ended up by putting his position at stake at the security Council and he has drawn the consequences of the latest resolution of this organism,” said Bennouna.

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content