Palestinian shot dead in Gaza Strip, Rice says fence not ''consistent'' with US view

Published September 23rd, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A Palestinian man was shot dead early Tuesday by Israeli troops in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian security and hospital sources said. 

 

He was shot close to the Jewish settlement of Elei Sinai, the sources said. An Israeli army spokesman said soldiers had ordered the man to stop when he approached their position. 

 

Meanwhile, US national security advisor Condoleezza Rice said that the seperation fence being erected by Israel in the West Bank is not "consistent" with the United States' view of the Middle East.  

 

Rice told reporters, in a White House briefing, it is crucial the barrier does not intrude on the lives of Palestinians, the AFP reported.  

 

Asked if progress had been made in resolving the international controversy surrounding the barrier, Rice replied: "This wall is not really consistent with our view of what the Middle East one day will really have to look like." (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content