Senior Egyptian sources told the London-based A Sharq al Awsat newspaper that Cairo is waiting for specific answers from Tehran before announcing the renewal of official diplomatic ties.
In a report published Thursday, it said Egypt is looking to recieve from Iran a list of names and contact details of "fugitive Egyptian militants who are hiding in the Iranian capital".
Until the Egyptian authorities receive this list, they have no plans to declare the historic resumption of mutual relations between the two countries, the newspaper added.
According to the newspaper, Cairo requested these details from the Iranians last year after officials from both countries met secretly in an undisclosed location.
Tehran severed its relations with Cairo after former President Anwar Sadat signed the Camp David peace accord with Israel and harbored the Iranian Shah.
Egyptian intelligence officials assess that top wanted leaders of the outlawed al-Jama'ah al-Islamiyah and the Jihad are taking shelter in Tehran.
Egypt seeks to try these fugitives as they were "involved in attacks on governmental interests" and "worked to destabilize domestic security", according to the Egyptian sources. Some of the fugitives were also "involved in the failed assassination attempt on the life of Egypt's president, Husni Mubarak" in 1995, they added.
The Egyptian sources told A Sharq al Awsat they expect Iran to show more cooperation in the fight against "terror." (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)