Reports: U.S. forces deploy in Saudi Arabia

Published March 7th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Thousands of U.S. soldiers are pouring into Saudi Arabia in preparation for an invasion of Iraq, The Telegraph reported Friday. 

 

The Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia, a London-based group opposed to the Saudi regime, said that between 2,000 and 5,000 United States troops landed in the northern town of Tabuk the last week. 

 

Other reports said that American forces had taken control of Arar airport, less than 25 kilometers from the Saudi-Iraq border and that it had been closed to civilian air traffic. 

 

Last week The Telegraph reported that Washington and Riyadh had secretly agreed that American air operations against Iraq could be launched from Saudi soil, in return for a promise that all American forces would be withdrawn from the country after the war. 

 

In Jeddah last week, Prince Saud al-Faisal, the Saudi foreign minister, denied that Riyadh would allow American forces to launch or direct attacks against Iraq from its soil. (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content