Rice: US to decide on Iran issue soon; Sharon: Israel not planning attack

Published April 14th, 2005 - 09:39 GMT

Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon provided no new information on Iran's nuclear capacity during his summit with President George W. Bush earlier this week, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told The Wall Street Journal in comments published on Thursday.

 

Washington will decide this summer whether to pursue a tougher stance on Iran's nuclear development at the United Nations Security Council, she told the newspaper. According to her, the White House has faith in European-led negotiations aimed at ensuring that Iran's nuclear program remains non-military, and that what matters most is "a unity of purpose" among all the nations involved.

 

For his part, Sharon said Israel would not carry out a unilateral attack aimed at destroying Iran's nuclear capability. Sharon said he did not see "unilateral action" as an option. Interviewed by CNN on Wednesday before ending a tour to the United States, Sharon said Israel did not need to lead the way on the Iran nuclear weapons issue, saying that the issue should be handled the international community.


Iran is years away from possessing a nuclear weapon, Sharon said, but he warned that Tehran is only months away from solving "technical problems" toward building a nuclear weapon.

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content