Shi'ite leader, Muqtada al-Sadr asserted Tuesday he was ready to die in order to bring an end to the US-led occupation of Iraq. "I am willing to sacrifice (myself) and I urge the (Iraqi) people not making my demise the cause for the end of the struggle for freedom and for ending the occupation," Sadr told the Lebanon-based Hizbullah TV's al-Manar satellite network.
Al Sadr comments came as Mohammed Al Hariri, a leader in the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI), has held the US occupation responsible for the most recent escalation in violence between both sides.
Hariri, who is also a member of the political arm of SCIRI, told Al Bawaba that the most recent escalation by the American forces is the reason for what he refers to as “the blood baths” in Fallujah, Kufa, and Kut.
Several Iraqi parties are trying to defuse the current crisis by mediating between the two sides. Mediators so far have only succeeded in bringing about a temporary and fragile truce, while convoys of humanitarian aid are being seen entering the besieged cities.
The numbers killed by both sides currently stands at more than 700, with 20 confirmed US deaths and more than 700 Iraqi deaths.
On the topic of the nature of the negotiations between both sides, Al Bawaba sources indicated that they do concern both the future of Al Sadr [in Iraq] as well as that of his army – the Al Mahdi Brigade. According to the source, Al Mahdi Brigade, which recruits in excess of 3,000 freedom fighters, is being asked to abide by Iraqi law and respect Iraq’s new government institutions.
The source also added that the occupation forces had offered the Al Mahdi Brigade to have the case of Abdul Majeed Khoei’s assassination reopened in return for the former’s complete arsenal of weapons. Lastly, the source said that under no circumstance Al Mahdi Brigades are being asked to dismantle, and have not proposed that their leader – Muqtada Al Sadr – be banished to Iran.
Hariri confirmed that mediations are currently taking place between the two parties, however, he declined to give any further details.
"I won't give further details about the mediation efforts, but I would like to say that things are on the right track to bring about calm to the situation. It is very important that the process of handling power back to Iraqis next June not be delayed any longer," Hariri added.
Other initiatives that are running parallel with the mediation efforts are Ayatollah Ali Sistani’s and Ishaq Al Fayad’s continuous communications with the occupation forces to avoid any unrest and violence in the holy city of Najaf.
Additionally, a group of religious Shiite leaders held a meeting Tuesday, which was followed by a harsh statement warning the occupation forces of any attempt to attack the city of Najaf or to assassinate Muqtada Al Sadr. They also added that “the current crisis in Iraq has risen to a level that is beyond any political group, including the Governing Council, and it is now an issue that is between the religious authority and the coalition forces.”
The meeting included many of Iraq’s religious elite including prominent Shiite leaders like the son of Ayatollah Ali Sistani, Mohammed Ishaq Al Fayad, Mohammed Sayed Al Hakeem, Bashir Hussein Al Najafi, Mohammed Sayed Rida Al Sistani as well as Sayed Ali Al Sibzowari. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)