Sadr vows to continue fight against US occupation as Americans, Fallujah leaders hold talks

Published April 16th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Shiite leader Moqtada Sadr said a compromise with the US-led occupation "will not work" and he was ready to die as a "martyr" fighting the occupation forces.  

 

"We will not allow the forces of occupation to enter Najaf and the holy sites because they are forbidden places for them," said Sadr in a sermon at the grand mosque of Kufa, AFP reported.  

 

"I say that they are here to stay and will occupy us for many years and as such compromise will not work."  

 

Sadr, who is "wanted" by US forces in connection with the killing of another Shiite cleric last year, said "it is those that attacked civilians in Fallujah and innocent protesters that must be put on trial".  

 

"It is martyrdom that I am yearning for so support me and know that this a war on Shiites," said Sadr.  

 

Sadr directed harsh words to Shiites on the US-backed Governing Council who have been trying to mediate a peaceful solution to the crisis. "I address the agents of the west ... they say that we are delaying the handover of power and the formation of government, but I tell them that we have delayed selling Iraq and creating a government of agents," he said.  

 

Meanwhile, U.S. military and civilian officials met Friday with leaders from Fallujah, the first known direct contacts between Americans and city representatives since the siege of Fallujah started April 5.  

 

Until now, U.S.-allied Iraqi leaders have been holding talks with city representatives trying to find an end to the violence. "We are coming in here with an open mind. It is very important what we are doing. We are trying to give diplomatic negotiations a chance here," Marine Maj. T.V. Johnson said, according to The AP. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content